Jul 12, 2018
We created a brief CEREC FAQ to explain what perks this new piece of technology has brought to the dentistry field, especially our office in Franklin. Restorative dentistry can change lives. We find it important to inform our patients about the steps we take with Cerec crown technology.
A cap that fits over your existing tooth to restore shape, size, and appearance.
Why would I need a crown?
- To protect a weakened tooth after a root canal
- To restore a broken or worn down tooth
- To improve the appearance of misshapen or discolored teeth
- To support a tooth with a large filling
What is CEREC?
- Advanced technology for restoring damaged teeth
- A more natural looking solution for tooth-restorations
- Can be used to create a crown, in-lay or on-lay
How does CEREC technology work?
- CEREC uses a special camera to take an image of your tooth – No need for your dentist to take an impression.
- The image is converted into a 3d computerized model – Your dentist manipulates the model until it is just right for you
- The design of the new tooth is sent to a special milling machine – The restoration is milled out of ceramic using diamond burs
- Your dentist will bond the restoration to your existing tooth – The whole process is efficient and can be completed in one visit
Why should you choose CEREC?
- Time – CEREC crowns are created and placed in just one appointment – No need for a temporary crown while you wait for your restoration to be made
- Appearance – Tooth-colored ceramic matches your natural teeth creating more pleasing aesthetics
- Strength – CEREC milled ceramic is stronger than layered ceramic so it lasts a long time